The following is a traditional Easter hymn chanted by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo dos Silos. Easter is a Glorious time in the church. The liturgical traditions of Holy Week and the Tridium are beautiful. The lyrics of this hymn in English and Latin are posted below the video. For more on the hymn visit this link. To read the music and hear another it sung by a Scottish Abbey visit this link.
R. Salve festa dies toto venerabilis aevo
Qua Deus infernum vicit et astra tenet
1. Ecce renascentis testatur gratia mundi
Omnia cum Domino dona redisse suo
2. Namque triumphanti post tristia tartara Christo
Undique fronde nemus gramina flore favent
3. Qui crucifixus erat Deus, ecce per omnia regnat
Dantque Creatori cuncta creata precem
4. Christe, salus rerum, bone Conditor atque Redemptor
Unica progenies ex Deitate Patris
5. Qui genus humanum cernens mersisse profundo
Ut hominem eriperes es quoque factus homo
6. Funeris exsequias pateris vitae auctor et orbis
Intras mortis iter dando salutis opem[/one_half]
R. Hail, festal day, venerable of all ages
By which God conquers hell and holds the stars
1. Behold, it declares grace for a reborn world
All gifts have returned with their Lord.
2. For indeed, after hellish sorrows, to the triumphing Christ:
grove with green and buds with flower, everywhere give laud.
3. The Crucified One was God, behold He reigns over all things,
and all creation offers prayer to its Creator.
4. O Christ, the salvation of all things,
good Creator and Redeemer, only begotten Son of God the Father.
5. You Who, seeing mankind to have plunged to the deep,
that you might save man, were also made man.
6. That Thou, the author of life and the world, might open
the way of death and the grave by giving hope of salvation. [/one_half_last]